In nuclear physics, 8 is the second magic number (the first one being 2). It’s also the atomic number of oxygen, and in the world of non-metric units, there are eight fluid ounces in a cup, 8 pints in a gallon, eight tablespoons in a gill, and 8 furlongs in a mile. Eight bits in a byte.
While attending the basic Mandarin Chinese language course, I learned that 8 (八)is the luckiest number among Chinese, as its pronunciation (ba) sounds quite similar to a word meaning wealth or fortune.
When you’re a curious person, you know these kinds of (useless?) things.
But the eighth edition of the BlackBird’s Bullets newsletters means consistency. Find the rest of them on my website. This is the last one for the [insert expletive]-year-2020.
I’m taking the last week off of work, which means that I can spend mornings in my office/atelier working on peterkos.org — and there are a couple of things on my list.
I’m preparing to produce an audiobook of The Elements Of Lifestyle, and I’ll practice recording audio by adding narration to the articles on this site. Learning by doing. I also want to launch a Goodreads promotion, but more on that later.
Here’s this week’s attempt to keep you curious:
- Running saved my life, and I like to keep the motivation high by listening to good podcasts and reading great books on running. Running & being is on top of my list.
- Going plant-based. Inspired by the fresh Vegan 2020 documentary, here’s my advice if you want to improve your health, well-being, energy levels, and performance (and shave-off some of that WFH-weight!): try going plant-based. Guidance included.
- If you like a suspenseful spy story with a good guy going after his murderers, then read Hunting the hunters.
Alexei Navalny, recently poisoned Russian opposition leader, hosts a YouTube channel, and it’s helping me work on my Russian language skills (subtitles included).
- A decade in a year: Best photos of 2020.
- Stay committed to your work like this cameraman.
Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish.
If you haven’t done so yet, consider subscribing to this BBB Newsletter. I share a medley of 5 carefully curated bullet points within a 500-word radius each Wednesday. You’ll get a list of my fresh articles plus a selection of clever stuff across productivity, personal growth/development, leadership, self-care, and other topics for the modern professional.
Like this writing? –Please share it with your friends!