TL;DR / 3 Amazon tips for writers:
— Use short sentences
—Data instead of weasel words and adjectives
—The 4 Amazon answers: Yes, No, a Number, I don't know and will follow-up when I do.
I can't locate the source anymore, but I found this somewhere on the internets and stored it in my Notion inbox.
It is handy for a ton of different writing types, including pitch decks, emails, notes to venture capitalists, or even how you communicate in your 1-on-1’s or team meetings — writing clearly and concisely is really, really hard and takes a lot of practice. Applying these conventions could level-up your communication.
Use less than 30 words per sentence:
- Due to the fact that 👉🏻 because
- Totally lacked the ability to 👉🏻 could not
Replace adjectives with data:
- We made the performance much faster 👉🏻 We reduced server-side latency from 10ms to 1ms
Eliminate weasel words:
- Nearly all customers 👉🏻 87% of Prime members
- Significantly better 👉🏻 25% basis points
If you get a question, reply with one of the four Amazon answers:
- A Number
- I don’t know and will follow up when I do
I'm a big fan of The Rule of 3's, so I'd prioritize and make a law out of them:
3 Amazon tips for writers:
- Use short sentences
- Data instead of weasel words and adjectives
- The 4 Amazon answers: Yes, No, a Number, I don't know and will follow-up when I do.